- Christmas Markets
- Pantos and Theatre Productions
- Santa Adventures and Christmas Grottos
- Christmas Tree Light Switch-ons
- Christmas Tree Festivals
- Santas Sleighs
- Late Night Shopping
Looking for special gifts this Christmas ?
Why not go to one of the local Christmas Markets or Gift Fairs?
Here are our top 3 picks:
Knaresborough Christmas Market : 2nd Dec – 3rd Dec
Held annually on the first weekend in December, this historic market town steps back in time to recreate an unforgettable festive experience for everyone. The cobbled Market Square and surrounding lanes and courtyards will be filled with delights to arouse your senses. The welcoming shops of the town will tempt you in to view their range of gifts and regional Yorkshire specialities.
Wander through the streets of Knaresborough and discover bustling stalls offering seasonal goods and delicious treats, also smell the heady aromas of mulled wine, mince pies and roasting chestnuts. The Christmas tree will be lit and there will be entertainment for the whole family.
Wetherby Dickensian Christmas Market : 10th Dec 2017
The Wetherby Dickensian Christmas market is being organised by the Wetherby Lions Club and is raising money for the Senior citizens party. The ‘Christmas Craft Faye’ is inside the Town Hall. Don’t miss out on the real reindeer, carol singing and more. All the activities commence at 9.00 am with Santa arriving to his Grotto at 10.00 am. The fun and frolics will continue until 3.00 pm
Harrogate Christmas Market : 16th Nov – 19th Nov 2017
open 10am to 8pm Thu-Sat & 10am to 5pm Sun
Held on The Stray in the historic Montpellier Quarter of Harrogate town centre, this four-day festive market will be filled with high quality Yorkshire and Harrogate products. This year it is expected to have nearly 200 stalls selling everything from Yorkshire cheeses and chutneys to handmade gifts and Christmas decorations. Not forgetting Santa’s Grotto and real reindeer! Among the highlights will be the large Craft and Gift Marquee and a Food and Drink Marquee along with café-style tables and chairs for visitors to relax and enjoy the Yorkshire produce on offer plus Funfair Rides for the little ones too!
Other local Christmas markets:
• German Christmas Market and Santa’s Grotto – 9 Dec 1pm to 6pm at Hall square and butter market in Boroughbridge
• St Nicholas Fair, York – 16th Nov – 22nd Dec 2017 Sun – Wed 10am to 6pm, Thu – Sat 10am to 8pm – www.visityork.org/st-nicholas-fair.aspx
• Tadcaster Christmas Market and Festival – 3rd Dec 2017 – www.tadcastertowncouncil.co.uk/Core/Tadcaster-TC/Pages/Christmas_Festival_3.aspx
• Ripon Cathedral Christmas Gift & Food Fair – 25th Nov 2017 9.30am to 4.30pm – http://riponcathedral.info/event/christmasfair/
• Leeds Christkindelmarket – 10th Nov – 24th Dec 2017 10.30am to 9.30pm (7.30pm Sundays) www.whatson.leeds.gov.uk/germanchristmasmarket/Home
Pantos and Theatre Productions
Looking for some local Panto’s and Christmassy theatre productions?
Here are our top 5 picks:
The Elves and the Carpenter (Badapple theatre), Kirk Hammerton Village Hall: 8 Dec, Galphay Village Hall (Ripon) 10 Dec, Staveley & Copgrave Hall (Harrogate) 29 Dec
An original family comedy from Kate Bramley (5+ age) with songs from Jez Lowe and designs by Catherine Dawn. Its toy making time in Santa’s workshop but Mrs. Claus is getting worried. The Elves have left the building. In fact, they haven’t been seen since last Christmas when they packed their cases and headed off to their other jobs around the globe. A whirlwind journey ensues, and she finds the most mischievous of the helpers hiding in the wood pile at Mrs. Carpenter’s shop. Their attempt to help her complete his special Christmas order hasn’t worked out quite as well as they had hoped…..Can Mrs. Claus help them wrestle victory from defeat and get them to the Pole on time?
Sleeping Beauty (Panto), Frazer Theatre, Knaresborough: 18 – 27 Jan
The kingdom is celebrating the christening of Princess Brian just as the evil witch Carabosse appears with a curse in revenge for not being invited to the occasion. To protect their princess, the King and Queen ban all spinning wheels and all seems to be going swimmingly, with the arrival of the dashing Prince Orlando and the blossoming of true love. Disaster strikes on the princess’ 18th birthday so it’s up to Orlando, a parade of good fairies and even the palace cat to help save fair Brian from eternal sleep. Packed full of laughs, songs, and a cast of incredible characters, Sleeping Beauty is sure to entertain young and old alike. This is always a very popular show of the year, so book early to avoid disappointment!
Beauty and the Beast (Panto), Harrogate Theatre: 6 Dec – 21 Jan
Follow the bookish and beautiful Belle and the Beast, a troubled prince who has been placed under an evil spell for a hundred years. If the Beast can learn to love and be loved in return then maybe the spell will be broken and he will return to his true self. But time is running out! Packed with everyone’s favourite pantomime characters, this enchanting and spellbinding tale combines jokes, magic and sparkle … all which makes Harrogate theatre’s pantomime a festive family favourite.
The Nutcracker Russian State Opera, Royal Hall, Harrogate: 6 Dec
Based on The Nutcracker and the Mouse King, written by E.T.A. Hoffmann. This Christmas story is about Marie, a melancholy girl, whose godfather Drosselmeyer, gives her a nutcracker doll as a present on Christmas Eve. But the simple wooden nutcracker turns into a prince and then the magic starts… Snow flurries, sweets, princes, magic – an eternal season favourite, directed and choreographed by the former Bolshoi Ballet Soloist, Konstantin Uralsky. A wonderful introduction to ballet, featuring a live orchestra with over 30 musicians.
Phil Lyons and the New Vintage Band presents A Swingin’, Rockin’ Christmas, Frazer theatre, Knaresborough: 20 Dec
On Wednesday 20th December join us for a feel good, festive night of Swing, Jive and Rock & Roll, including many Christmas classics! Featuring charismatic crooner Phil Lyons and his live 8 piece band. Tickets are £12.50 and are available from our online box office (booking fee applies) Show starts at 7.30pm, doors open at 7pm.
Other productions that may interest you (in date order):
• The Nutcracker Russian State Opera, York Barbican Theatre: 7 Nov www.yorkbarbican.co.uk
• Aladin the Rock ‘n’ Roll Panto, City Varieties Hall, Leeds: 24 Nov – 7 Jan www.cityvarieties.co.uk
• Crumble’s Search for Christmas – West Yorkshire Playhouse, Courtyard Theatre, Leeds: 25-30 Nov www.wyp.org.uk
• The Lion, the Witch & the Wardrobe – West Yorkshire Playhouse, Quarry Theatre, Leeds: 29 Nov-21 Jan www.wyp.org.uk
• Jack and the Beanstalk (Panto) – Carriageworks Theatre: 1 Dec – 6 Jan www.carriageworkstheatre.co.uk
• The Story of Christmas with Carols, Ripon Cathedral: 2 Dec www.riponcathedral.info
• The Book of Dragons, York Theatre Royal, Studio: 12 Dec – 6 Jan www.yorktheatreroyal.co.uk
• Christmas with the Overtones, York Barbican Theatre: 14 Dec www.yorkbarbican.co.uk/whats-on
• Christmas Carol Concert, York Minster: 14 & 15 Dec yorkminster.org/whats-on
• Jack & the Beanstalk (Panto), York Theatre Royal: 14 Dec – 3 Feb www.yorktheatreroyal.co.uk
• The Harrogate Christmas Concert, Harrogate Convention Centre: 16 Dec www.harrogatetheatre.co.uk
• The Snowman, York Minster: 16 Dec (matinee and evening performances) yorkminster.org/whats-on
• Christmas Carol Concert, York Barbican Theatre: 17 Dec www.yorkbarbican.co.uk/whats-on
• Nativity! The Musical, Leeds Grand Theatre & Opera House: 20 Dec -6 Jan www.leedsgrandtheatre.com
• Robin Hood & the Babes in the Wood (Panto), York Barbican Theatre: 21-31 Dec www.yorkbarbican.co.uk
Santa Adventures and Christmas Grottos
Our top 5 picks for are:
Stockeld Park : 11 Nov – Christmas Eve, tickets not sold in advance, on a first come first serve basis on the day. £8 off peak, £11 peak days stockeldpark.co.uk
Storytime with Father Christmas at Beningbrough Hall : 2, 3, 9, 10, 16, 17 Dec – 11.30 to 3.30pm £7 per child (+ admission charge) www.nationaltrust.org.uk/events
Birchfield Farm: 25, 26 Nov & 2, 3, 9, 10, 16-23 Dec – (inc sleigh ride & real reindeer) 10am to 5pm – from Dec late night booking avail. £9.50 child, £4 adult birchfieldicecream.co.uk
The Christmas Experience at Lotherton Hall : 24 Nov – 23 Dec – £10.95 per child + admission fee thechristmasexperience.co.uk
Ripley Castle: every weekend from 2-24 Dec – £12.50 per child, includes free entry to the gardens and deer park www.ripleycastle.co.uk/christmas/
Other interesting Santa Grottos:
- Crimple Hall: each weekend from 25/11, 10am – 4.30pm, £9 per child (arrive 10 mins early) – www.crimplehall.co.uk
- Fountains Abbey: 25, 26 Nov & 2, 3, 9, 10, 16, 17 Dec – 11am to 3pm, £5 per child (plus admission fee) www.nationaltrust.org.uk/events
- Brimham Rocks Father Christmas Winter Wonderland: 16 & 17 Dec –from 11am to 3pm, £5 per child www.nationaltrust.org.uk/events
- Father Christmas at Bolton Abbey: 18-23 Dec 9.30am to 4pm, very popular, so pre-book! Child £12, plus admission fee of £10 per car
- RHS Garden Harlow Carr, Stories with Santa: 1-3, 8-10, 15-24 Dec, various times, Child £5.50, Adult £3.50 for members. Non-members Child £9, adults £11.50 (includes garden entry) www.rhs.org.uk/gardens/harlow-carr
- Embsay & Bolton Abbey Steam Railway: £15pp www.embsayboltonabbeyrailway.org.uk
- Yorkshire Winter Wonderland: York Designer Outlet 18 Nov – 23 Dec, £4.50 per child www.yorkshireswinterwonderland.com
- York Boat Santa Experience: various dates, Adult £11-14, Child £15-18 www.citycruisesyork.com/santa-experience
- Narnia, a Christmas Grotto at the Rock of York 9, 10, 16, 17 Dec, Adults £5.50, Child £10.50 www.eventbrite.co.uk
Christmas Tree Light Switch-ons
• Thurs, 16 Nov – The Big Switch On (Victoria Shopping Centre Piazza), Harrogate, 4-6pm
• Fri, 24 Nov – Bright Friday , Knaresborough Christmas lights, procession from war memorial at 6pm, lights on 6.30pm
• Sat, 25 Nov – Ripon Market Place
• Wed, 6 Dec – Boroughbridge market square at 5.30pm
Christmas Tree Festivals
• 2-10 Dec – The Great Christmas Tree Festival, St John’s Church, Knaresborough
• 8-10 Dec : Christmas Tree Festival, St Wilfrid’s Church, Ripon from 10am to 4pm, with music and refreshments and a Carol concert on Sun 3pm
• 9-10 Dec : Boroughbridge Community Care Christmas Tree Festival including carol singing on Sunday at St James Church, Church Lane, Boroughbridge 10am – 4pm
• Wetherby Lion’s Santa Sleigh – 5-22 Dec
– visit wetherbylions.org/santas-sleigh for route nearer the time
• Knaresborough Lions Santa Sleigh – 4-22 Dec (Mon-Fri only) – visit Knaresborough.co.uk for more info
• Harrogate Lions Santa Sleigh – dates tbc – visit Facebook page
Nativity & Carol Service
• Sun, 10 Dec – Boroughbridge Market Place, 4pm, carols
• Sun, 24 Dec – Knaresborough Market Place, 6pm, carols & nativity
Late Night Shopping
• Boroughbridge: 6 Dec till 8pm
• Harrogate: typically on Thursdays in December leading up to Christmas till about 8pm
Check out our events guide for EVEN MORE local Christmas craft fairs !